As we are receiving many questions about the upcoming First Saturday in April and its devotions, here is a quick synopsis from our National Coordinator, Deacon Bob Ellis. For further information, please do not hesitate to email [email protected] or 920-371-1931.
How are we to practice the First Saturday Devotion if there are no Masses on the first Saturday of April and possibly beyond?
1. This presents no obstacle to the praying of the rosary and spending fifteen minutes keeping Our Lady company.
2. Since Jesus told Lucia that the confession could be within eight days or even longer still, our confessions can be made whenever possible as long as we make the intention.
3. Actual reception of Holy Communion will, of course, be impossible. Since heaven never demands what is impossible for us, a Spiritual Communion will be accepted until such time as Masses resume.
There are four elements of a Spiritual Communion:
1. Make an act of faith. The key here is to express to the Lord our
faith in His merciful love and His Real Presence in the Eucharist.
2. Make an act of love. O Lord God, I love you above all things …
3. Express our desire to receive Him.
4. Invite Jesus to come into our hearts spiritually.
Here are two examples for your consideration:
St. Alphonsus aria de’ Liguori:
My Jesus, I believe that Thou art present in the Blessed Sacrament. I love Thee above all things, and I desire Thee in my soul. Since I cannot now receive Thee sacramentally, come at least spiritually into my heart. As though Thou wert already there, I embrace Thee and unite myself wholly to Thee; permit not that I should ever be separated from Thee. Amen.
My Jesus, I believe that You are present in the Most Holy Sacrament. I love You above all things, and I desire to receive You into my soul. Since I cannot at this moment receive You sacramentally, come at least spiritually into my heart. I embrace You as if You were already there and unite myself wholly to You. Never permit me to be separated from You.
Thank you and GOD BLESS YOU! Our Lady of Fatima, pray for us! Saints Francisco and Jacinta, pray for us!
Are the grounds of the Blue Army shrine in closed to the public because of the pandemic?
No, the grounds are open. Please come and use the Rosary Garden and walk the grounds.
Thank you for this article on making the First Saturday devotion under these circumstances! Truly appreciated! God bless us all.
what about the First Friday Devotions?
The devotion is not a communal devotion; it is generally practiced as an individual. You can pray the Rosary and do 15 minutes of meditation with Our Lady from anywhere. You can offer a Spiritual Communion in reparation for the sins against the Immaculate Heart, when Mass is not going to be available where you can receive Holy Communion. You can still get to confession during the coronavirus pandemic. It can be 8 days before or after the First Saturday.
I hope that helps.
EWTN has a beautiful Mass offered three times daily for those who have it available. If you participate in the Mass, it is as close as you can get to being at Mass. A Spiritual Communion prayer is posted.
The National Blue Army Shrine is also live-streaming Mass every day, Monday – Sunday, at 12 Noon E.T. on our website, bluearmy.com or our Facebook page, Facebook.com/bluearmyshrine. Following this is adoration. Please join us!